Saturday, June 30, 2012

Is it really that time??

Well, first let me just say that I had an interesting week this past week.  My weekend started off really hopeful, with a day last Friday at the city dump (where literally all of the trash goes and is burned, and people make a living off of it, and there are multiple little towns around/in it... yes, in it) for a brigade with the Catholic University.  It was a nice change of pace, working with a ton of people to provide a little medical care, food and hygiene materials for the people of that area.  Even though I didn't have very much interaction with the people that lived there, I was still happy to help out in the little way that I did.

That afternoon, after a couple of beers with some of the girls (yes beers... what has happened to me?), I was really not feeling very well.  I ended up just resting in bed for the afternoon, trying to fight off the bouts of nausea I was having and then ended up throwing up for the whole night.  It was rough, and annoying b/c I was supposed to have a Skype date the following morning with Morgan (who is in SPAIN) and a friend I made in Copan was going to visit.  Poor timing, body, poor timing.  Well, suffice it to say, I did nothing really for the rest of the weekend other than sleep and eat a little.  That's the sickness for the month of June (for those keeping track!).

The external was closed this last week, and I was actually not looking forward to being in the internal the whole time.  I am still struggling like I belong and have a place within the clinic world, so it's hard sometimes.  But, it ended up being a blessing in disguise... I was able to get the de-parasiting thing all finished, finished up stuff for the new nurse coming, and all that jazz.  So, it was nice.  It was also really nice to get up in the morning and eat with the other volunteers and take my time.  I will miss that when I return to my regular schedule.

And, now all of a sudden it's time for the new volunteers to get here.  Is it really that time?  As we speak, I am sitting at the internet hut with 3 newbies (2 from Spain, which is so fun!).  I can't believe it!  The rest come this weekend.  I just don't feel like I am ready for them to be here... I am still new.  I still don't feel like I know what I am doing all of the time... I just GOT here. :)  But, asi es.  It's part of the volunteer life here on the Ranch.  It will be nice to get to know new people, and watch them go through this process, as well.

I think that's about it for recent events.  This next month will probably go by pretty darn quick... which is great... b/c my MOM IS COMING! :)  I am excited... is it obvious?

I hope you all are well!
Paz, Amor y Bendiciones!

1 comment:

  1. hey Jen, it's good to see you post. I got a new idea for a book... 12 sicknesses of volunteering. (this of course if you keep up your monthly illnesses), which I hope yoou don't. ;-)
    Love you.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete