Saturday, September 17, 2011

Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work.
~Mother Teresa~

I love Mother Teresa quotes.  They are always so inspiring.  Well, most Saints' quotes are inspiring... that's kind of what they do. :)

There is just something about Mother Teresa.  I would have loved to meet her in real life.  I wish I was 'more Catholic' or more aware of the world and knew about her when I was growing up, when she was still alive.  Her life is so inspiring... her heart, amazing... and her absolute love for the Lord, stunning.  Giving her life to the Lord through serving the 'poorest of the poor' is something only a handful of people do in our world today.  I am by no means doing anything like that of Mother Teresa, but I am inspired by her to serve.  I am giving up a TON to give of myself to God's will AND to the kids that I will be serving in Honduras.  The only way that I can successfully serve them and, thus, the Lord is to give them all of me.  They deserve that at the least.

And because of that, I am proud of myself.  I don't want to come across as prideful, "I am such a good Catholic/Christian, look at what I am doing!"  I am more proud because I truly believe I am following the Lord's will.  I am serving my brothers and sisters of the world.  Isn't that what He calls ALL of us to do?  We should all be serving each other with love and respect, hope and faith, hugs and smiles... and even with food, clothes, money, etc.  No matter who we are, what we do, where we live, who we know, if we have $5 or $5 million dollars, we are called to serve those of this world.  We are all deserving of that love.  And, I challenge you to try.  This does not mean that you have to give up your job, leave your family and friends, travel to some far away land to serve.  It could be as simple as smiling at the cashier who doesn't look thrilled to be working, or volunteering, or picking up trash, or spending time with those who don't have anyone.

I think it's pretty obvious on what you can do.  The thing is... you have to DO IT!  Serving each other only works when we actually serve each other.  I am not saying it's easy.  It's way easier to think of what WE want and what WE need and what WE feel WE have the right to.  But, it's way more fulfilling to think of someone else, and watch the transformation of something so little become something so magnificent for someone else.  Again, I am not perfect.  This is hard for me, too. Which is funny, because I am a nurse... one of the most service-oriented professions ever.  But, I am human.  I fail.  And, yes, I get up and try again... even when I don't feel like it.

This was on my heart.  

Peace, love and hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment