Saturday, May 12, 2012

Asi es!


Well, I have completed 4 months here on the Ranch and 5 months in Honduras, and here are just a few things I would like to share… asi es aqui en Honduras (so it is here is Honduras!):

·      I think that seasons should be marked by the bugs/creatures.  When I first got to the Ranch, the cicadas were NUTS, then came the ronrons (these really stupid bugs that buzz really loud, fly into things and then die), now the frogs are out everywhere, along with the flies and these weird moth looking things.
·      I don’t freak out too badly when the power goes out anymore.  When I first got here I felt like my stomach would fall out, now my heart just skips for a hot second.
·      I made a cake the other day, and was really, really bummed to find that these tiny, obnoxious ants were all over it.  Ugh.  Everyone was like, ‘just ice it, no one will know.’  Really?  Um, ok.  So, I scraped some away, iced it, and served it.  Everyone ate it, including me.
·      The sound of the rain pounding on our metal roof is one of the best sounds.
·      I have become a person that dresses like a dude and performs a dance with the other volunteers in front of the entire Ranch.
·      Cockroaches are still really creepy bugs.
·      It’s been so hot these days that my cold shower actually feels good sometimes.  I never thought I would say that.  (Nor do I use it all of the time, there are a few people that have the heaters for the showers.)
·      The frogs sound like aliens, not the normal “ribbit”.
·      When the Internet is out… it’s really not the end of the world.  It’s actually a little refreshing.
·      One of the girls (as in one of the girls that works there) brought a kitten to the clinic the other day… to the clinic.  It was hanging out and such.  No one seemed to mind.
·      It’s really exciting when the kids here know your name, and they yell it.  For no reason at all.

There are many things that I could add to this list, but I will leave it at that.  I will create another one soon, I am sure.

Abrazos y Amor!

1 comment:

  1. Oh the memories... Love the list Jen. I remember little buggies in the cereal in Thailand. We would drown the in milk and gobble it down. Never tasted the buggies and was convinced it was a good source of protein. LOL

    Love ya ... Dad

    ReplyDelete