Friday, January 06, 2012

Adios Copan Ruinas!!

Wow, I am leaving Copan tomorrow.  Four weeks ago I was totally freaking out about leaving my home, my family, my friends and everything else that I knew for a country that I had never been to.  Now, I am leaving a place that has become like home, again, leaving people and things that I have come to know.  It’s funny how that happens, huh?!  If you ever get a chance to go to Central America, be sure to put Copan Ruinas on your list of places to visit.  The people are friendly. The food is great.  The town is cute.  And, it’s close to Guatemala, so really, you could kill two birds with one stone.

Of course, if you want to learn Spanish, Escuela Guacamaya is a great place!

With any sort of travel comes it’s own stress, and this time is no different.  The weather has been less than perfect on the coast (and Roatan!) causing the ferry to be canceled consistently for the last few days.  All I want to do is see my Daddy and relax for a week!  So, on a whim I bought a plane ticket for the puddle jumper (literally takes 15 minutes to the island) so that I can guarantee I will get to the island to see my dad!  Perfect, right?  Well, what I didn’t think of is the weight limit for my bags.  Ugh, I thought I was going to be done with that for a year!  A little panic has ensued, where I have emailed one of my future co-volunteers, who is coming here to study, to see if she would consider taking one of my bags (rude, I know... remember, I was in panic mode, I have already apologized!), packing a box and shipping it to NPH (what if it gets stolen?), and the obligatory freaking out calls to my parents that don’t solve anything, just allows me to be me.

What have I decided?  Packing everything, knowing I will have to pay extra, and take my chances that there are no crazy hiccups.  I am also not opposed to begging.  So, here’s hoping all goes well!  And, by tomorrow afternoon, I will be getting a hug from my Dad (who will have a long list of hugs to give from people, I am sure) and laughing about the previous 24 hours!

Oh the joys of traveling with all of your belongings that you need for a year!

I am not sure when I will have access to Internet again, so I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment