Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hola de Roatan!

A little taste of heaven, huh??

Yes, I am here.  I am with my Daddy.  And, things are good. :)

Last Saturday was another long day of traveling.  I had a very nice man, Jaun, drive me all the way from Copan Ruinas to La Ceiba (thanks mom and Paul!!) where I picked up the plane.  As I said before, I was nervous about all of my stuff being able to fit on the plane... and thank goodness for being early!  I had no problems at all.  
Yup, a puddle jumper.  18 seats!

I met with the lady from the resort, collected my bags and then headed to see my Dad!  I didn't realize the resort was on a little island off Roatan, so I had to take a two minute boat ride.  And, there, waiting for me was my DADDY!!  I was so excited to see him. :)  
Sorry for the blur!

Let me just say... I was in a bit of culture shock getting off the plane.  Roatan is like a completely different place.  I don't feel like I am in Honduras at all!  I am not the only white person, people speak English (even the people that work/live here prefer English) and the native Islanders (for all intents and purposes, black people) make for a more diverse crowd.  I was so excited when I first saw them at the airport, I seriously had the urge to run up to them and give them a hug.  Is that weird?!  I have asked a few of the people that work here at the resort to speak to me in Spanish, so I can at least practice.  It's still a little difficult, but I can only just keep trying, right?

While I have been here, I have gone diving...
Ha, great shot by my dad!  
My instructor told me to keep my hands together, and this is how I automatically did it. :)

Went to hang out with some dolphins and do a little snorkeling...
Pic courtesy of the Anthony's Key resort.

Played with the ADORABLE puppies...
They are all going to good homes.  
If I was going home after this, I would have figured out a way to take one with me!

Dad took some good shots on his dives...
Baby Sharpnose Puffer fish and a tube worm.

Lion Fish... beautiful, but an invasive fish that are causing issues to the surrounding life.

Orange Sea Horse!!! :)

I love this!  Dad doesn't know what it is. :)  A fish, obviously.

I have also relaxed and read and bronzed (or burned!) and ate... a lot.  Ha.  The food here at this resort is definitely catered toward the American tourist/divers... and I was not used to it.  I missed my tortillas and frijoles!  Luckily, at lunch they have been serving red beans and rice... so that has satisfied my fix.  Of course, in a very short time that is all I will be eating and then wish that I was back here with all of the other good food. :)

I am getting excited and little nervous for this weekend.  Dad and I will have a long day of travel starting early in the morning on Saturday, and then my time at NPH will begin!  I can't believe the time is so close.  I feel like I have been waiting and planning for this weekend for so long, it was always so far in the future!  But, it's here, so I have to get ready.  No matter what my worries and doubts and excitements are, I am about to face them head on.  God hasn't gotten me through this point alone, and He won't abandon me now.  His grace is truly amazing, even if I don't realize it every single day that I am in Honduras.  I seriously can't wait to see what He will reveal to me about myself, NPH and the world.  Bring it on, Lord, bring it on. :)

As is always the case, I am not sure when I will have internet again once I get to NPH.  I will update you all as soon as I can.  Love you all!  If you see my dad, tell him to give you a hug, because it will be from me!

Hugs, Kisses and Prayers!

2 comments:

  1. You sound delightful, and thanks for sharing your experiences with us! You are right, God will be with you every step of the way, and knowing that, I feel good about your safety! Safe travels on Saturday, and my heart is always with you! Thank Daddy for me, for being there for you! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are SO beautiful!! Seriously, Rotatan looks amazing...at first I thought that's where NPH was and I was thinking, uh Jen is this really a sacrifice...j/k j/k

    I'm so glad you're feeling more excited than anxious. Know that we're praying with you always. Today is the fest day of St. Hilarious, so have some laughs!!

    ReplyDelete