Sunday, December 04, 2011

But, Mom, goodbyes are really hard.

No one likes goodbyes.  I don't think I have ever met anyone that just loves to say goodbye to people.  I feel like that's all I've been doing for the last few months... say goodbye.

Now, I know that goodbyes aren't forever... so, I suppose I could say, "see ya later!"  But, somehow, that doesn't make it any easier.  A few months ago when I began my trek around the country, I began the goodbyes.  Yes, tears were shed in the driveway when Mart and Tom dropped me off in Tampa, on the couch the night before I left Morgan's, and of course when I left my Momma's (not that hard, I know!).  For some reason, though, it almost felt like those were pretend goodbyes.  Ones that were there just to give me the feeling something big was happening, but nothing was happening other than visiting the next person.

This week, though... this week, with my departure now only days away, the goodbyes are real.  Something big IS happening and the impact is more in my face.  This week was full of goodbyes.  I visited work (ie the hospital) and said goodbye (officially) to many people there.  My big bro came in for the weekend to say his goodbye.  
Taking Matt to the aeropuerto. Aren't we cute?!

Today, I had lunch with Christine and dinner with Devin, Mrs. Clites and Emma... and wasn't expecting to feel SO sad when I drove home.  There was like this finality in the hugs, and even kisses from Emma, that was hard to walk away and get in my car.  Emma, in her 7 year old wisdom, said as we were trying to leave, "but, Mom, goodbyes are really hard!" (as she stomped her foot for emphasis)  Oh, Emma... you are SO right.  They are.  And, somehow they do make us stronger and help us to appreciate the time we do get to spend with the people we love the most.
Emma and I earlier this year.  One of my fave pics!

It really makes me so thankful for the technology we have today: cell phones, email, Skype... so we are able to hear the voice or see the eyes of those we care about. :)  So, if you have Skype, please let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. Goodbyes are really hard!! I think I keep telling myself that you're not really going anywhere. And it's easier for me, since we don't see each other daily anyway - what does it matter if I have to call Honduras, as opposed to Virginia? I just like to think of you as a phone call away...

    But, this wouldn't be the great act of love that it is without any sacrifice. If it were easy, you might not be called to it!! It's so beautiful that you are willing to embrace the call, even with all its attendant challenges. I know that this will bring you such great joy, and I can't wait to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Emma, goodbyes are very hard!!!

    ReplyDelete