Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This and That


[Frist, a few corrections to previous posts.  Sophia is not the name of my older host sister- it’s Sonia.  Oops.  AND, Dulce is 12 (will be 13 on Monday!) not 11. Again, oops.

La iglesisa Catolica is NOT blue, it’s white.  There is a blue sign on it. Fail.]

La Escuela:
La escuela es muy buena!  (School is really good!)  My teacher, Gaby, is awesome.  She is my age, talkative and explains things amazingly!  I am really happy because I believe, with this type of program, the teacher can make or break your experience.  I am on my third day, and it’s a lot of work.  A lot of it I remember, but a lot of it I don’t.  So, after the 4 hours, I am muy cansada (really tired)!  Plus, not being in school for the last four years, my studying habits are out of shape!



La Comida:
I have really enjoyed the food so far.  Sara, my host mom, is a really good cook.  I haven’t taken pictures of anything (I know.  Surprise, surprise!), but I will try to snap a few soon and share them with you.  Breakfast and dinner are the lighter meals, with lunch being heavier and always having some sort of meat.  In the morning, I have had cantaloupe (really sweet!), pancakes and tortilla con queso y chiles (tortilla with cheese and peppers).  I have to say, they have been the heartiest breakfasts I have had… maybe ever!  Lunch has consisted of different sopas (soups) and rice with chicken, beef or yesterday I had gallina (which is hen).  And, I think I have met the chicken that we eat.  I kind of feel bad… kind of.

In the backyard, Sara and Ernesto grow a lot of fruit.  They have lemons, oranges, bananas, some other fruit that helps with blood pressure, coconuts, and coffee.  They make their on coffee!!  I am talking laying the beans out and drying them overnight.  I am going to watch the process one day (and probably take pictures).  And, I have to say, I have gotten used to drinking Sara’s coffee with just milk.  It’s pretty good.  On Monday, I had this tea made from maiz (corn).  It was really interesting.  Probably not my favorite thing, but I’m glad I tried it.

Overall, I think Sara has been impressed with my appetite.  Ha!  But, it’s me… I’ll eat anything.  Paul (yes, you) would really like it because I have a set schedule for all of my meals… THREE meals a day!  I have been hungry for most of them, too, because it’s really hilly here… so I am burning off what I eat.

Copan Runias:
Yesterday was the first time I really explored the town.  I have been a little timid to just start walking around.  I am still trying to get used to everyone staring at me!  There aren’t too many tourists right now, so I guess they just like to get their fill or something.  I went to a coffee shop and had a café mocha frio (iced mocha)… pretty standard and really good.  I studied there for a while and then went to the school to use the Internet for a bit.  While I was there, I met a few otra estudiantes (other students) and we went for a walk.  They have been in Copan for a little longer than me, so were showing me the best places for this and that.  We also went to a bar and had a drink (Blue Lagoon… might be a new fave.  Just sayin’) together.  It was just so nice to be around people and chat!  All three ladies are from Canada.  Tonight we are going out to dinner for Clara’s birthday!  I am excited to go to a restaurant and see how that is.

Every week, the school arranges for an excursion.  Today we are going horseback riding in las montañas (the mountains)!  I’m glad I practiced with my mom back in October!

The weather has actually been quite chilly.  During the day it’s been in the 70s, I would say, but at night down in the low 50s.  So, I am definitely glad I brought my warmer clothes for the evening.  It's been cloudy and rainy the last few days.  It seems that the clouds kind of get stuck, as the mountains surround us.

Pictures:
This is the view from the second level of my house.

This is the view from the second level of my house looking over to Guatemala.

This was on Sunday, looking from the back of the house.

Bananas!!

The stairs I go down everyday to school.

And then back up them.

Well, there you have it.  Sorry for the Spanglish… but, I have actually started to think in Spanish.  I hope it’s more entertaining than annoying.  Let me know if there is something specific you want me to blog about!  Oddly, I feel like I need ideas.  Weird, huh?

Ama mucha (much love)!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are adjusting well and you are doing great with your postings. I love reading all of it...keep them coming! XOX lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice there.
    Glad you met up with some of my country mates.
    Love the stairs! Soon you'll be running up and down them (great way to burn more calories)
    Jealous about the horseback riding - think it's been 20 years since I've been on a horse.
    Keep up the Spanglish...I'm actually learning from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! And the food sounds delicious! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nej's dad said....

    It's good to get exercise. Glad to see you're 'in step' with a daily routine. :-) Maybe you can start a swim team at La escuela. Can't wait to see you in January and have some tortilla con queso y chiles. love you. and I as your mother love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete